Brushing your teeth everyday is one of the best ways to take care of your smile. For optimal dental health, follow these six tips:
1) Pick the right brush that fits your needs – Not all toothbrushes were created equal. Between varying sizes, bristle strengths, and the recommendations given to you from your favorite dental care provider, there are plenty of options to choose from.
2) Master the technique – Brush your teeth at gum line using a 45-degree angle. Gently move your toothbrush back and forth in short motions, cleaning the outer surfaces of your teeth. Move your brush in gentle up and down motions to clean the inner surfaces of your teeth. Then be sure to brush your tongue!
3) Take your time – Follow the “2 minutes x 2 times per day” rule.
4) Don’t overdo it – Ever hear of having too much of a good thing? Over-brushing can cause dental issues such as wearing down the enamel on your teeth or receding gums.
5) Good hygiene is the way to go – Always rinse your toothbrush before and after brushing; germs tend to linger if you don’t keep your toothbrush clean. (Also, do not keep your toothbrush capped or near a toilet. Trust us on this one.)
6) Let it go – Make sure to replace your toothbrush every three to four months or when you start seeing frayed bristles. Also, if you’ve been sick, think about throwing out the old one and replacing it with a new brush.
By practicing proper dental care daily, we minimize the risk of cavities and developing other dental health related issues. To make an appointment with your Stoneham dentist, Dr. Bruce M. Doyle, call us today at (781) 438-1666 .